Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Journalism: A Day in the LIfe

This is a true story. Every quote is accurate. It carries no moral, no conclusion. Enjoy.
Scene: Augusta, Maine, supermarket. The newspaper editor (me) puts several newspapers on conveyor belt, along with various groceries. Cashier and bagger both in their 20s or 30s.
Cashier to bagger (looking at newspaper headline World Looks Warily at North Korea): "Oh, that's right. Kim Lee Duck or whatever died."
Bagger shakes her head and shrugs.
Cashier (trying again): "Dong Duck Lee? Whatever?"
Bagger (putting one pound can of peeled tomotoes on top of loaf of bread) shrugs again.
Me: "Kim Jong Il."
Cashiner: "Right!"
Bagger: "I don't know who that is."
Me: "The leader of North Korea."
Bagger: "Oh." (pause) "That's sad."
Me: "Not really. He didn't like us. Dangerous guy. Maybe could have blown us up."
Bagger (brightening): "Then that's good!"
Me: "Not really. No one knows what's going to happen next."
Bagger: "I'm confused."
Cashier: "It's confusing."
Me: "You can read all about it in the newspaper."
Cashier laughs, like I made a joke: "Whatever!"
Bagger wrinkles her nose in disgust (yes she did!): "I don't think so."
Cashier: "Whatever. Have a nice day!"
I take my groceries and leave.




No comments:

Post a Comment